All-clear given after hazmat situation in Rockville | News
ROCKVILLE, Md. (WUSA9) -- The all-clear has been given after a hazardous materials investigation in Rockville, Montgomery County authorities say.
The chemical that officers detected inside a house in the 1900 block of Valleystream Drive was determined to be insecticide. No other household items or explosives were found inside the house, a fire official said.
A source with Montgomery County police told WUSA9 buckets of urine were found inside the house and investigators believe the insecticide was used to get rid of the bugs that came as a result of the urine. When officers opened the door, they were hit with a wave of ammonia and urine smells.
Neighbors told WUSA9 the house where officers detected the odor has been foreclosed for months and officers recently arrested several squatters.
Nearby residents were ordered to shelter in place while crews investigated the incident.
Investigators believe there was a meth lab inside the house, according to the source.
The initial call to check on the welfare of a person was first reported at around 5:15 p.m. No one was found inside the home, police say.
Like this story? Like WUSA9 on Facebook.